Monday, June 24, 2013

Shepard's Pie Recipe

So, I don't know about all of you, but I'm not a very good cook. I never claimed to be. Growing up, I was never home because of dance or cheerleading or yearbook or some other extracurricular activity. I never ate at home, and my mom never taught me to cook. But, I do try. However, Justin is also kind of picky, so it's even harder. For Christmas one year, my dad gave me a cookbook, and inside he had written out all of my favorite recipes. One of them that I have made several times is Shepard's Pie. And it's become one of Justin's favorites. Anything with meat and potatoes is a sure thing with him! Anyway, it's really easy (if I can do it, anyone can!), and one of the best things about it is that it makes a lot, so we have leftovers for days. Here's the recipe:

Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees. 

The first thing you have to do is make mashed potatoes. I hope you all know how to do this, so I'm not going to include instructions for that... 




Just set those aside. You will need them later. Next, brown a pound of hamburger. Add in whatever veggies your little heart desires. I normally use one can of Veg-all, a can of green beans, and a can of corn. My dad also puts mushrooms in his, but I leave them out because Justin doesn't like them. 


Next, make the gravy. I use McCormick's Brown Gravy. The instructions are on the back, and it's super easy. When the gravy is finished, dump it in the burger and veggie mixture. 



Mix it all together, and then dump it into a large casserole dish like this:



Then, spread the mashed potatoes over top of the mixture. I also sprinkle some salt and pepper over the top.



Pop it in the oven for about a half hour, or as my dad says "until the peaks are golden brown!" It will look like this:


Be careful, it will be very hot! 

It's so good, and everyone loves it! So, there you have it! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover